Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Bono and Christ

This is all from the new interview book “Bono on Bono” courtesy of andy and shonas blog…

Bono comments: My understanding of the Scriptures has been made simple by the person of Christ. Christ teaches that God is love. Love here describes itself as a child born in straw poverty, the most vulnerable situation of all, without honour... those of us who are trying to figure out our Christian conundrum, is that the God of the Old Testament is like the journey from stern father to friend. When you're a child, you need clear directions and some strict rules. But with Christ, we have access in a one-to-one relationship, for, as in the Old Testament, it was more one of worship and awe, a vertical relationship. The New Testament, on the other hand, we look across at a Jesus who looks familiar, horizontal. The combination is what makes the Cross... It's a mind-blowing concept that the God who created the Universe might be looking for company, a real relationship with people, but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between Grace and Karma. I really believe we've moved out of the realm of Karma into one of Grace. You see, at the centre of all religions is the idea of Karma... what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth... And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "As you reap, so will you sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions... I'd be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge... It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for Grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity... Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us, and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death... It should keep us humbled... This man was strapping himself to a bomb, and had "King of the Jews" on his head, and, as they were putting him up on the Cross, was going: "OK, martyrdom, here we go. Bring on the pain! I can take it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feeling lonely? Hook up with Real Singles now for $4.99 to connect, and only $0.99 a min. A true match is only a phone call away. Give it a try 1-800-211-9293.

4:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home