Friday, April 01, 2005

How old is the earth? Young or Old

Good discussion going on here

Heres my 2 cents worth in the debate

This is all a very interesting subject - one that I used to be very hung up about and studying alot. As a scientist I think that it is very important to understand what I believe as christian/scientist. First and foremost I believe in the Word of God and in no way can it be wrong - you cannot pick and choose the bits you like. It should also be read literally unless there is no other possible explaination that for a different interpretation. Second, you can't apply assumptions from here and now to interpret what might of happened in the past as it might not always work - which is a fair bit of doubt.

The most impotant issue of the bible is that death entered the world through sin and this separated us from God - God offered us a way back to him by sacrificing his son who had no sin to pay the cost of sin (wages of sin is death). Therefore anything that gets in the way of this truth cannot be accepted. A theory where death is present before sin also has to be rejected (in my view) as is negates the gospel message and calls into question everything in the christian message.Therefore when we interpret things we see in the natural world we must "read" it in the context of a created world. Most scientist interpret data with assumptions of firstly no Creator and infinite time (almost). I dont know exactly how pre-fall looked or even how life worked (as cell death is an intergral part of life in higher organisms)but I know what the bible tells me.
1. God created it
2. It was good.
3. There was no death

These truths are intergral to the gospel message. Which is why I don't really think about the issue much anymore, as I will never be able to work out the detail as I wasn't there. And time spent fussing over this issue is wasted iin comparison to the bigger issue. That Jesus Christ conquored death and offers us this victory so that we need not experience eternal separation from a Father.

So after my ramblings - I am young earth (i think) non-evolutionist (non-macro-evolutionist anyway). But I'm comfortable in the fact that God knows what happened and when he calls me home one day he might even tell me how it really was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home